zaterdag 7 augustus 2010

Sweet home Nevada!

I could say that Language and Culture camp at Bryant University were 2 of the best weeks of my life - without a doubt. I had never expected for people to get so close to each other in just 2 weeks, but they did. That's why I will not say too much about the last evening when we had to say goodbye, it was hard, very hard! However, when I got on the airplane and we were flying to Las Vegas, I was smiling again. My High School Year was finally starting! And..
HERE I AM NEVADA!

Last saturday, which is already a week ago, I arrived in Las Vegas at 10.15 in the morning. I'm glad I wasn't alone (2 Dutch girls I met at camp were flying with me), otherwise I would have missed my flight for sure. When I arrived in the arrival hall, I immediately saw my arrival family. I don't think I have ever been that nervous before.. but they were so nice!
When we got out of the airport, after waiting for some other students to arrive, we had lunch together and we went home. I'm sure I would have loved the ride back to the valley if I wouldn't have fallen asleep.. I did get to see a bit though, and this place is so beautiful! Very, very hot, but beautiful. Yes, I know what you're thinking, so I am sorry to tell you that they DO have trees here.. Just not outside of the valley, haha.

So much has happened last week, I think that if I would try to describe every day, I wouldn't be finished by tomorrow. I have been to church for the first time in my life, which was a whole new experience, but I liked it! Too bad Sarah (from Switzerland) and I got lost after our 'Sunday school' and missed.. whatever we would have been doing in the last hour of church.. but I actually enjoyed the first 2 hours and think that I will learn much in church, not only about their religion.
Also, I have made a ride with on the motor of Richard, who was my host father in my arrival family. It was so cool! We got to see the sunset, it was beautiful. With my arrival family, I've had much fun. We had dinner over at my host parent's friends, my host mother's mother, watched movies, played guitar hero and had much fun at home. However, on wednesday morning, I got to go to my real host family!
My new host parents are the parents of my first host mother, so I'm still in their family. Their names are Ron and Linda. Linda works for EF and so knows a lot about pretty much everything. They have one dog and two cats. This week, Augusto had lived here, which was one of their exchange students 2 years ago. He will leave on monday, but the thursday after that my host sister from Germany will arrive! I am very excited to meet her.
I've had much fun with my host family here so far! We went to Mesquite where we went bowling and had dinner and where I went to the Wallmart for the first time in my life! Today, my host mother and I went to Las Vegas airport to welcome some new students here, and tomorrow we will go to church and have dinner with the whole family, including my arrival family, who will come back from California tomorrow! Can't wait to hear their stories.

School will start on August 30th, but before that we will have to pick our classes and sports have already started. I am going to try out for the soccer team - I wanted to do either volleyball or soccer, but the volleyball team here appears to be really good and I am.. how do you say that.. extremely bad, and since I want to do a team sport for sure, soccer is the only thing I could do. I might try out for basketball in the winter.. Depends on their level, I don't want to make myself look stupid!

I don't have my pictures on this computer, but if you want to see pictures you can see them on my facebook page! I will post some pictures soon :)

I am having so much fun here, I've met some people already and I simply can't wait to go to school! I will post again soon, let's keep this thing updated!

Love,
Cille

Out where the sun always shines,
Here is the land which I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see.
Deep in the heart of the golden west
Home means Nevada to me.

-Nevada State Song-

1 opmerking: